Many people are adopting the English Bulldog. It doesn’t matter if you are adopting a puppy or a grown dog. The one thing that the owners might not realize is that there are bulldog genetic problems that they are struggling with. This can mean substantial vet bills or struggle with a dog that is always sick.
This is why you should make sure that you know everything there is to know about the hereditary issues that this dog special can struggle with. This is recommended that you read these and make sure that you know about all the health problems that Bulldogs can have.
What do Hereditary issues in dogs mean?
Hereditary issues in dogs are basically the health issues that they are inherited from their parents. Or, the common health problems that you can find in certain dog breeds, like the bulldog genetic problems.
We all know that there are some dogs, that have more health problems than other dogs. Bulldog health problems are just an example of hereditary issues. This is problems because of the breed that was born from a mother with genetic issues. Another way to explain this is if the father or mother of the puppy has a health problem. It can go to the puppy. Meaning that if both parents have health problems, the one puppy can inherit both these health problems.
The importance of awareness of hereditary issues in English Bulldogs
It is crucial to make sure that you know about the hereditary issues found in Bulldogs. This is so that you can understand what to look for when you are adopting a Bulldog, and what health problems your dog can have.
Not everyone is familiar about all the health problems that this breed has, and they don’t make sure that they are adopting from breeders that don’t have any adult dogs with hereditary issues that can be carried over to the puppy. This is why it is essential to make sure that you know about problems hereditary in English bulldogs before you just adopt one without checking his genetic medical history. This is why you should get as much information about the English Bulldog’s history and parent’s history before you just adopt. To know what bulldog genetic problems, your new dog might have in the future.
Why does this happen that there are so many hereditary issues among English Bulldogs
These dogs are popular, and many people are looking for the English Bulldog. But, because there aren’t enough breeders with healthy Bulldogs to breed puppies without any hereditary issues, there are more and more health problems.
Overbreeding can be one of the reasons because of these high hereditary issues that can be found with Bulldogs. They are breeding as many of these dogs as possible. Without thinking or researching his genetic history and any health problems that his parents might have. And, then that puppy with bad genes are getting breed again with another bulldog with bad genes as well. And, the circle is going on and on. With each new litter, more health problems will occur. This is why there are so many bulldog genetic problems.
Some of the main hereditary issues that can be found with English Bulldogs
The moment that you know more about the hereditary problems that can be seen with Bulldogs, the easier it will be to understand what you are getting yourself in for. These are just some of the genetic health problems that your dog can have in the future.
When it comes to the skin of English Bulldogs, there are many skin disorders that your dog can suffer from. Some can be treated, while other disorders might be harder to be treated. These are some of the skin conditions that these dogs can have:
- Something that we as human are also struggling with. It is treatable.
- Fold dermatitis. Infections that are caused by many skin folds. This is more common and harder to treat in Bulldogs.
- Infection in the hair follicle
- An infection in the deeper structure of the dog’s skin
- Muzzle pyoderma. An infectious skin disease that is on the muzzle of the dog
Something that not many English Bulldog owners or potential owners realize is that some serious eye conditions are also a possibility with these dogs.
As we all know that eye problems in dogs can be dangerous and needs medical treatment that can cost a fortune. And, you need to be aware of any hereditary eye problems the breed can have. These are a couple of the eye conditions that a Bulldog breed can struggle with.
- This is causing cloudiness and can cause blindness. Can be removed with an operation.
- This is where the eyelashes are growing abnormal and causes frequent infections
- This is a disease where the eyelids roll out. Expose eyes and cause eye infections.
- This is the opposite of entropion. This can cause the dog not opening its eyes to see correctly.
Mouth and teeth
Any mouth and teeth problems can cause a lot of pain and discomfort in the dog. In some cases, it can cause the dog to struggle eating or needs an operation to correct at a young age. You might not know that your puppy will have any of this mouth and teeth hereditary problems until they are teething at six months old. These are some of the mouth and teeth problems that Bulldogs can have.
- Abnormal dentition. Where teeth are irregular or growing abnormal.
- Cleft lip. This is a condition where the two upper lip parts don’t join together. Causing eating problems. An operation is typically needed.
- Cleft palate. This usually is going hand in hand with a cleft. And, it will need surgery to be able to heal the dog. This is something that bulldogs can be born with. Something to look at when adopting a young puppy.
This is a more severe health problem that English Bulldogs can struggle with. This is the one thing that these breed owners don’t want to see with their dogs. There are only two common respiratory problems that this breed can struggle with.
- Brachycephalic upper airway syndrome. This is one of the most common health problems that Bulldogs are struggling with. This is where they can’t breathe normally. They snore when sleeping, struggling to eat and breathe at the same time, and can struggle to breathe when exercising or when they are getting too excited.
- Hypoplasia of trachea. This is a condition where the trachea doesn’t develop completely. This can be seen when the puppy is still small. Vomiting a lot and might lose weight instead of gaining weight.
A serious bulldog genetic problem can suffer from, are some cardiovascular diseases. There are a couple of these disorders that this breed can struggle with. And, all of them are serious and need medical attention.
- Mitral valve defect. Abnormalities of the mitral valve at the heart
- Arteriovenous fistula. An abnormal connection between arteries and veins
- Pulmonic stenosis. One of the valves at heart doesn’t open correctly
- Von Willebrand’s disease. A Bleeding disorder caused by defective blood pallets.
How can English Bulldog Hereditary issues be prevented?
Now the question remains on how can we prevent or limited the English Bulldog disease? The breeders of these dogs should make sure that they are testing the dogs that they breed with. To make sure that there aren’t any hereditary issues that can surface with their litter. To ensure that only experienced breeders are breed with Bulldogs. And, to make sure that crossbreed doesn’t happen.
There are indeed many things that breeders can do to limit the health issues from Bulldogs. And, dog owners should take their dogs to the vet for a full health check, while they are puppies. Or, before they are actually adopting them. To ensure that they are as healthy as can be.
Then, the right food, the right amount of exercise and bathing routine of the dog is vital. This will ensure that the dog is staying as healthy as possible. The bathing routine will ensure that the skin disorders might not become a problem. Especially where the dog’s skin makes folds. The last thing that you can do is to keep an eye out for any behavior chances that your dog might undergo. This is usually a sign that there is something wrong with the dog, and they should be taken to a vet. This might be a Bulldog disease.
Bulldog genetic problems. They are such beautiful dogs, but there are some hereditary issues that you need to know about. This is so that you know as much about the breed as possible. And, to make sure that you know what to look for when you are adopting your first bulldog. Then, you will know for sure that you are aware that these are dogs that have many health issues that can cost money and attention.